Will The Use Of Coconut Oil Break The Fast?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Iporuru

Iporuru

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEurope
Hi,
I know we're supposed to use MCT oil in the BP coffeee, but if I add coconut oil (or replace MCT with it, knowing that CO contains about 60% MCT), will I break my fast? Doesn't the butter in the coffee break the fast as well?

suntoucher

suntoucher

Uninspired Potential

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationEurope
You'd break the fast with BPC anyway. Yes you can.

BP IF actually refers to ketosis, not really 'fasting.' A bit of marketing.
Check out my Bulletproof: Notes & Cheat Sheet, Extensive Supplements Guide.

Iporuru

Iporuru

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEurope

You'd break the fast with BPC anyway. Yes you can.

BP IF actually refers to ketosis, not really 'fasting.' A bit of marketing.

Thanks suntoucher, but I'd still like to delve deeper into this. Dave writes" Plain intermittent fasting doesn’t use coffee, so it only hits one, or possibly 2 of the 3 possible mTOR triggers. Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting works better because it can use all 3 mechanisms, but it works very well (as you can see) with just coffee and intermittent fasting. The cool thing is that an all fat breakfast (like Bulletproof Coffee ™ ) doesn’t make your body think it’s broken the fast, so you get the benefits of the fasting anyway. It’s awesome!" and later on: "Using MCT in your Bulletproof Coffee increases the speed at which you go into ketosis, so it fuels your brain, and it helps you stay in ketosis even in the presence of some carbs in your diet. MCT is noticeably better than just grass fed butter in my coffee for this effect".
So it seems you can eat/drink fats and your body will still 'think' you're fasting?

M. Thomas

M. Thomas

A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
You can eat/drink fats and your body still stays in ketosis. If you were to take in something that elevates your insulin levels you would stop burning fat as efficiently. He just means what kind of fat burning state you are in or how deep you are. For more thorough information on intermittent fasting check out www.leangains.com

Iporuru

Iporuru

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEurope

You can eat/drink fats and your body still stays in ketosis. If you were to take in something that elevates your insulin levels you would stop burning fat as efficiently. He just means what kind of fat burning state you are in or how deep you are. For more thorough information on intermittent fasting check out www.leangains.com

Thanks Mark. Now it's clearer. I'll also check out www.leangains.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users