• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

qngo01

qngo01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been drinking BP Coffee since this past April but have stopped abruptly after taking an ALCAT Food Intolerance Test and finding out I was moderately intolerant to Coconut which wipes out a large number of foods I was eating. Does anyone have insight into whether MCT Oil is still "safe" to ingest although a person may have an allergy/intolerance to Coconut? My thought process is that MCT maybe similar to Ghee in that a person who is lactose/casein intolerant can still have Ghee because all of that stuff is removed so a person who is coconut intolerant may still have MCT oil as long as the other stuff causing the intolerance is stripped out.

Stevo

Stevo

Upgrade in Progress

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland
I think the pharmaceutical grade MCT oil is pure capric acid and caprylic acid and may not necessarily come from coconuts.
I guess you'd have to figure out what it is about coconut that you would react to - Could you do the same test using pure MCT?

Want to read random blog posts written by me? Click: http://www.thatstevenbaker.com/

MaverickAzz

MaverickAzz

Powerful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Let's get a little more information here...
How long have you been without ALL coconut products?
Do you know what, specifically, that food intolerance test looked for? (that is, it may say "dairy intolerance" when it actually means casein.)

Given this is an unknown, I'd suggest that if you've been without coconut for a long period of time, then you should start to bring the MCT oil back into your diet. Start slow and test your intolerance.

Also, it's only two MCTs in the oil. Your body loves burning them as fuel. I'd be hard pressed to find a biological reason as to why you'd be intolerant to those specifically.... but I'm not a biologist :-P

No sorcery, just science. 

M. Thomas

M. Thomas

A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
I believe they centrifuge coconut oil to isolate the capric and caprylic acids.

You would need to fidn out what it is in coconut oil you are sensitive to. If its not MCTs than you are in the clear.

M. Thomas

M. Thomas

A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
double post. so annoying.

Stevo

Stevo

Upgrade in Progress

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
You might also be able to use Palm Kernel Oil.

Want to read random blog posts written by me? Click: http://www.thatstevenbaker.com/

qngo01

qngo01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for everyone's insight. To address some questions:

@stevenbaker unfortunately the alcat does test specifically for MCT oil
@ Aaron Lorch I just stopped eating coconut a week ago after I got the test results. Prior to that, I was eating tons of coconut, coconut oil and mct every morning in my BP coffee. The intolerance is challenging because I don't think I have a reaction to coconut (other than maybe acne breakouts on my face but that could be other things) the blood test just said I have a moderate intolerance to Coconut
@ Mark agreed and I will see if more info can be given

Stevo

Stevo

Upgrade in Progress

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
I guess my next step would be get a second opinion. Are there any other reputable food allergy tests you could do?

Then if it comes back the same, I would try to "hack" the allergy and test. What I mean is, to research what happens when you have MCT and what is involved in the reaction. e.g. MCT interacts with x which is present because of y which is unnecessary in your body, so you can remove y, so you can get rid of x and then enjoy MCT. Either that, or if there is something you can take with the MCT to kill the allergy symptoms.

Clearly I am not a doctor or scientist (I'm a software tester), but can you follow my logic? It may be a dead end, but if it were me I'd like to know what is the reason for the MCT allergy.

qngo01

qngo01

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@Steven Baker Cool, man and totally understand. I will dig deeper into this and figure out the coconut reaction. I want to say my analogy of being able to use Ghee if intolerant to milk will apply to MCT Oil if intolerant to Coconut. I will report back results to share this knowledge. Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users