8 replies to this topic

Chomps86

Chomps86

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQuantico, VA
I will be going overseas and I will have no access to grass-fed butter or MCT oil for at least one year. Is canned coconut milk a decent enough alternative to both of these as an additive to Bulletproof Coffee? If so, what quantity would be sufficient as replacement?

Thank you.

Casey

Trevor Fullbright

Trevor Fullbright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Coconut milk wont be bad for the purpose of the MCT oil, but I'm not sure what to tell you for butter.
The CM wont have all of the stuff GF butter will have.
Would you be able to access GF goats milk butter?

Chomps86

Chomps86

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQuantico, VA
Actually, maybe. It depends on how much I can get others to go to the local markets for me. However, I'm not gonna hold my breathe.

How much CM should I use to compansate for MCT?

Trevor Fullbright

Trevor Fullbright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Well, 1 tbsp of MCT oil is 14g of fat, coconut oil is roughly 60%MCT, so I'd do 20-25g of fat worth.
Or you could just sorta guess like me and do 3-4 tbsp.

Rich

Rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I may be wrong here, but 1 tablespoon of the MCT oil sold on Upgraded Self is similar to consuming about 6 tablespoons of coconut oil (if we are talking about getting just MCTs). Coconut milk tends to have less fat per tablespoon than coconut oil. Something like a can of coconut milk would have the same amount of MCTs as 1 tablespoon of pure MCT oil. Hope this helps. Remember I could be wrong here...

Chomps86

Chomps86

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQuantico, VA
Thanks you guys this is all very helpful. Now I just have to have my parents mail me flats of coconut milk. Heh.

Dave Asprey

Dave Asprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes - coconut oil is technicall 60% MCT, but the MCT that works best is only 15% of coconut oil That said, you can use canned coconut milk. If you can get supplements shipped, butyric acid is one of the major things in butter and is lightweight by comparison, available in capsules.

ttack99

ttack99

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I just bought my first bag of the bulletproof coffee beans & some MCT oil which is on the way.  

My question is, for someone with a beef intolerance which also occurs with beef byproducts like milk & butter.   Is there a good butter substitute that has the same benefits of the grass fed butter?

I did try the grass fed butter in the past, but it definitely causes a problem in me.  I may try some ghee, but suspect it will have negative effects as well.  I also thought of using coconut milk as a substitute to add a little "milky-ness" to the coffee, but I am already going to use the MCT oil and don't think it will give the same benefits as butter.  I want to find something that will be nutritionally beneficial like the grass fed butter.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

olly_g

olly_g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationuk

I just bought my first bag of the bulletproof coffee beans & some MCT oil which is on the way.  

My question is, for someone with a beef intolerance which also occurs with beef byproducts like milk & butter.   Is there a good butter substitute that has the same benefits of the grass fed butter?

I did try the grass fed butter in the past, but it definitely causes a problem in me.  I may try some ghee, but suspect it will have negative effects as well.  I also thought of using coconut milk as a substitute to add a little "milky-ness" to the coffee, but I am already going to use the MCT oil and don't think it will give the same benefits as butter.  I want to find something that will be nutritionally beneficial like the grass fed butter.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

this may sound absolutely crazy but I can get really good raw duck fat where I am, im thinking of throwing this in there to replace the butter fat, then some almond milk! dairy allergies are a real pain in the arse! or maybe I could try and source some raw cows milk butter, but I suspect I will have allergies to that 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users