14 replies to this topic

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

I got my wife's vitamin D results back, she's been taking 5000 UI for months now, 5 to 6 days a week. Results were 47

How do I calculate how much more she needs? We never had it tested pre D supplementation.

Jeremy Gollehon

Jeremy Gollehon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
Kind of hard to know her absorption levels without a pre supplement measurement. At least she's below the targeted 60 to 80 range. Up it by 2000IU and see where she is in a month.

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

I'm guessing she's not absorbing well, since she was taking 5K and it's this low. Wonder how low it was before the test... geez. I'll have her take 10K for a month, I'm guessing you read the number wrong, or did you mean 20K?

Angel2013

Angel2013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It my understanding, for best absorption of vitamin D, take it with the heaviest meal of the day.

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

Good idea, I'll have her start taking 10K at dinner and retest in a month.

Rod

Rod

The Rodfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good idea, I'll have her start taking 10K at dinner and retest in a month.

Vitamin D3 should be taking in the morning with a little fat. Taking D3 at night will mess with your sleep cycle. When increasing D3, check calcium levels as absorption increases serum levels. Make sure to take K2 with D3 to keep calcium levels in check. 

I am about 50% healed up. I think it will take me till the end of the year to get 100%. My short break is longer than I expected but I will be coming back with more info and insight. Thank all of you who have supported me, I never forget, I send you my love!  I will lurk from time to time!

Edward Hutchinson

Edward Hutchinson

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Grassrootshealth have a series of charts that enables you to see how much extra Vitamin D3 daily is typically required to move from one level to the next. 

grassrootsvitddosin_zpsbfc52383.jpg

However weight, health, latitude, diet, medications,  climate, atmospheric pollution, outdoor exposure are just a few of the many factors that will influence 25(OH)D response. Whatever changes you make check again with a postal 25(OH)D finger prick blood spot test in 3~6 months to see how it's worked out in practice. 

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

Vitamin D3 should be taking in the morning with a little fat. Taking D3 at night will mess with your sleep cycle. When increasing D3, check calcium levels as absorption increases serum levels. Make sure to take K2 with D3 to keep calcium levels in check. 

I know D3 can make you alert, that's why we've always taken it in the morning, but do you think even if it's 4 or 5 hours before bed it'll mess with the sleep cycle?

She takes K2 as well, so we're covered there.

Rod

Rod

The Rodfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I know D3 can make you alert, that's why we've always taken it in the morning, but do you think even if it's 4 or 5 hours before bed it'll mess with the sleep cycle?

She takes K2 as well, so we're covered there.

You can test it out, do you have a zeo? I would take it earlier to be on the safe side but again, if your sure it's not harming sleep, go for it! 

I am about 50% healed up. I think it will take me till the end of the year to get 100%. My short break is longer than I expected but I will be coming back with more info and insight. Thank all of you who have supported me, I never forget, I send you my love!  I will lurk from time to time!

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

You can test it out, do you have a zeo? I would take it earlier to be on the safe side but again, if your sure it's not harming sleep, go for it! 

No, unfortunately not. We'll probably keep it in the morning and double the dose, I have a good baseline of always taking it in the morning.

Whats the consensus on how long to wait until being tested again, and what is considered "too high" where it could actually be a problem?

Pierre Eklund

Pierre Eklund

[email protected]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden
Isn't there a difference in uptake with liquid D3 and powder in capsules? Think I read somewhere that the liquid is better for uptake.
Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

Rod

Rod

The Rodfather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No, unfortunately not. We'll probably keep it in the morning and double the dose, I have a good baseline of always taking it in the morning.

Whats the consensus on how long to wait until being tested again, and what is considered "too high" where it could actually be a problem?

It depends, if your taking a high dose to move it up, 2-3 months. You don't want to go over 100 ng/dl  

http://www.lef.org/m...D-Intake_01.htm

Isn't there a difference in uptake with liquid D3 and powder in capsules? Think I read somewhere that the liquid is better for uptake.

I think it depends on the person but I don't think it would be a big deal. You could put it on your skin and it might be absorbed better! 

Jason Miller

Jason Miller

Mother nature isn't stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • LocationCanada
The gel pills have fat for better uptake than powder alone, but if you are taking it with the fat in your coffee it probably doesn't matter in my mind.

My Crossfit programming http://www.facebook....jasonmillerwods
Demo vids for said programming http://www.youtube.c...MegaJasonmiller<p>
Trying to figure out how much to eat? like using a scale? like running tests? http://forum.bulletp...changing-goals/

My fitness pal: http://www.myfitness...y/jasonmiller10

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

We take the NOW brand 5000IU ones which are liquid gels, with BP coffee in the morning so there should be plenty of fats.

Desp

Desp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationTexas

It depends, if your taking a high dose to move it up, 2-3 months. You don't want to go over 100 ng/dl  

http://www.lef.org/m...D-Intake_01.htm

That's pretty interesting, I really want to know why these people were over 100 ng/dl and their other stats. I guess I'd have to read the study, but if you take a healthy individual and get their levels over 100, will they exhibit these same signs, or were these people's levels over 100 because of some other medical condition?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users