• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

StuGibson

StuGibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Hey there. New user and brand new to this whole BPE thing. Not sure if I'm gonna jump completely on-board, however I did want to find out more about mycotoxins and coffee. I'm a Peet's drinker and wanted to see which coffees were wet processed and high elevation for at least some "bulletproofing". Emailed customer support and got a reply same day.

Here's her response:

"Thank you for your email.

If you’re looking for high-elevation grown and wet-processed coffees, you would be interested in the following:

Costa Rica

Guatemala San Sebastian

Colombia

New Guinea Highlands

Ethiopian Fancy

Kenya Auction Lot

I hope this information is helpful! If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know."

Costa Rica is my favorite blend so I'll stick with that for now. I like being able to walk into a store and pick up a pound of coffee rather than order online and pay shipping. Better yet, I can get free shipping on order over $40 bucks, and the beans are fresh roasted. Plus Peet's is fairly ubiquitous where I live (bay area).

I'm curious though why Dave Asprey didn't mention these coffees as being potentially bulletproof since Peet's is a pretty popular chain. Of course, maybe he researched these and rejected them based on a testing or something. Anyone know?

Might try turning it into BPC when I get some Kerrygold unsalted butter. How critical is the MCT?

Anyway, just wanted to share!

Stevo

Stevo

Upgrade in Progress

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Dave gets his beans from Guatemala. As long as they're high altitude and single origin (not blend) and wet-processed/washed, you should be fine. In saying that, they won't be as pure as Dave's beans but they'll do.

I don't think I've heard Dave recommend any particular brand of coffee other than his own. There is a blog post about finding a good cafe around you which is helpful.

Get the butter and try the coffee. You'll feel good and have sustained energy. Get the MCT and you'll feel even better!

MCT isn't critical, but it isn't Bulletproof Coffee without it ;-)

katolotus

katolotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Can't recommend them unless you get them tested. Just because they're high altitude, wet processed and single blend doesn't mean they aren't going to have mycotoxins. For that you need to test. From what I remember, Dave pays to get his coffee tested. He can't recommend other brands unless they or he test. They don't, so don't expect them not to have the mycotoxins.

Welcome to the real world, you have to pay for quality. Chances are, if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.

when-you-pay-peanuts-you-get-monkeys.jpg

161.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

Get Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee in the UK & Europe

alphasupps-small.jpg

Use the discount code IAN for 5% OFF on your orders

See my last fight here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVDsxbQZ6U). Didn't go so well, but that's the game :wink: enjoy

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

rmathes

rmathes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Is there any reasonable way for the average person to test a sample of beans for mycotoxins?

I like Dave's beans a lot, but there are other selections which taste better to me. I'd prefer those if I knew they were "clean". But I'm guessing testing at an individual level is basically prohibitive. Would be great not to have to assume one brand is clean and one brand is flawed, but to KNOW via direct lab results.

katolotus

katolotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Think you know the answer to that one ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

Get Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee in the UK & Europe

alphasupps-small.jpg

Use the discount code IAN for 5% OFF on your orders

See my last fight here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVDsxbQZ6U). Didn't go so well, but that's the game :wink: enjoy

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

StuGibson

StuGibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I think my original point was, based on Dave's criteria for finding "bulletproof" coffee in your area, these fit the bill well. Certainly almost no coffee on the market today, with the exception of Bulletproof coffee, is going to be mycotoxin-free since very few coffees are even tested for it. The question is can you find widely available, relatively inexpensive, LOW mycotoxin coffee in your region and/or at your favorite coffee house? Since Peet's is my favorite coffee shop and is also widely available in my region, I asked them for the best recommendations based on the general conditions for low mycotoxin coffee. The fact that they also roast and ship to you same day is a plus also.

I suppose sooner or later I'll give Dave's coffee a try and compare my performance/physical state against my morning cup of Joe. I'm certainly not going to go to the trouble and expense to test every coffee on that list and even then, it wouldn't matter since it may vary from day to day. I'm just trying to reduce my risk, not eliminate it.

Cheers  :shock:

Justso

Justso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, United States

I think my original point was, based on Dave's criteria for finding "bulletproof" coffee in your area, these fit the bill well. Certainly almost no coffee on the market today, with the exception of Bulletproof coffee, is going to be mycotoxin-free since very few coffees are even tested for it. The question is can you find widely available, relatively inexpensive, LOW mycotoxin coffee in your region and/or at your favorite coffee house? Since Peet's is my favorite coffee shop and is also widely available in my region, I asked them for the best recommendations based on the general conditions for low mycotoxin coffee. The fact that they also roast and ship to you same day is a plus also.

I suppose sooner or later I'll give Dave's coffee a try and compare my performance/physical state against my morning cup of Joe. I'm certainly not going to go to the trouble and expense to test every coffee on that list and even then, it wouldn't matter since it may vary from day to day. I'm just trying to reduce my risk, not eliminate it.

Cheers  :shock:

I understand your original question: "The question is can you find widely available, relatively inexpensive, LOW mycotoxin coffee in your region and/or at your favorite coffee house?"

I think Katalotus explained it, however, I don't mind taking a stab at it.

The answer to that question is that you have no way of knowing what is "relatively low" levels of mycotoxins in coffee without having them tested. So there's no way to imperically and quantitatively know what levels are present. And no, you will not find "widely available" nor "relatively inexpensive" coffee beans in your region that fit the criteria of a "non-widely available" coffee bean that is "expensive." One thing to keep in mind is that for most of us, (I think I can speak for most of us here - but perhaps I'm overstepping my bounds here. I'm sure someone will correct me) is that we drink this coffee not primarily for it's taste (which is superb), but because of what it gives to our bodies and I can assure you that the difference is very noticeable. As a former Peet's drinker, I can say their coffee tastes good, but the physical effect difference in Dave's beans destroys Peet's. Like anything else in life; in most cases you get exactly what you pay for and this is no exception. Bulletproof Coffee is a food and a performance enhancer to me, and it's a integral part of my diet, so I'm not drinking this simply for the pleasure of a good cup of coffee. I'm drinking it because is a high-performance addition to my diet and has yielded me amazing results in weight loss, energy, focus and endurance. It costs me $50 a month for beans and oil. What I used to piss $50 away on is laughable in my old eating ways, so I'm happy to trade it off.

What I can tell you is this - Dave mentioned that low grade coffee will tend to leave one urinating shortly after drinking it, and he said that's a tell tale sign that it is low quality coffee which most certainly has the presence of mold/mycotoxins. The reason why Peet's gave you the answer they did was because they do not know, test, nor care about those levels in their beans. They sell them as single-source, high altitude beans and that's as far as their description goes.

However, as a final note... If you are looking for a bean that tastes as close as I've ever tasted to Dave's and is roasted by the same company Dave uses for the Upgraded Beans, check out Portland Roasting's Guatemala Finca el Paternal beans. I'm pretty positive those are the same or very close to the same beans after drinking it for a month, but the roasting process has to be different. It's about half the price for a 12oz bag, and it tastes quite close, but not the same as Upgraded Beans. The Guatemala beans from Portland Roasting have a more acrid, bitter taste to them whereas the Upgraded Beans taste far more rich, creamy and absolutely no bitterness. You definitely taste the caramel, chocolate, cherry undertones in the Upgraded Beans.

mmejoanna

mmejoanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I think if it's high altitude, wet processed and single origin (not a blend) then the chances are good that it's clean of mycotoxins. That's the reason why you want those factors, because they make the beans less susceptible to molds.

I'd write back to PEETS and ask about the single origin aspect... seems you left that out of your correspondence. Sadly, I bet that their list will be a LOT shorter, maybe even have zero coffees on it, when you do.

StuGibson

StuGibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I think if it's high altitude, wet processed and single origin (not a blend) then the chances are good that it's clean of mycotoxins. That's the reason why you want those factors, because they make the beans less susceptible to molds.

I'd write back to PEETS and ask about the single origin aspect... seems you left that out of your correspondence. Sadly, I bet that their list will be a LOT shorter, maybe even have zero coffees on it, when you do.

I did write them back asking about single origin. We'll see if they reply, although Costa Rica is single-origin according to their website.

Also of note is Ethiopian Fancy which goes through a "fermentation process" after the beans are picked. This would lead to uncontrolled mold growth since I'm sure the fermentation process is not strictly tested or monitored for mycotoxins. Kenya Auction Lot is a blend of numerous auctioned coffee from Kenyan farmers, so there's no single origin there.

I also asked about mycotoxins in coffee, but I'm guessing this will go right over her head as almost nobody is talking about mycotoxins in the food/healthy industries (present company excluded).

Here are links the coffees listed above for anyone who is curious.

Columbia: http://www.peets.com...s/colombia.html

Costa Rica: http://www.peets.com...costa-rica.html

Guatamala San Sebastian: http://www.peets.com...-sebastian.html

New Guinea Highlands: http://www.peets.com...-highlands.html

Ethiopian Fancy: http://www.peets.com...pian-fancy.html

Kenya Auction Lot: http://www.peets.com...pian-fancy.html

For what it's worth, I'm not a Peet's shill by any means. However, it is the coffee chain I most often frequent. I care about coffee quality, both in terms of taste and nutrition. I am inspired by Dave's exploration into how coffee is produced and how a great supplement to the human body can also harbor awful toxins if not careful sourced and roasted. This is why I raised the issue with Peet's and hope to continue the discussion. If I drank Starbucks or Folger's or Yuban, I probably would have done the same with them. If it turns out that it's not worth the effort, then I'll look elsewhere.

Dave Asprey is making me look at coffee differently and I hope to continue to broaden the discussion among coffee connoisseurs, drinkers, and providers. It's one thing to say "Only drink Upgraded Coffee because it's the best and safest you can get" (No sarcasm intended. I'm sure it's amazing coffee). It's another to promote discussion to improve the quality of coffee as a whole, and make more people aware of what they are buying/consuming and how to choose good, quality, SAFE coffee. I can't speak for Dave Asprey, but I would think he'd agree or he wouldn't have written an article on how to find bulletproof beans in your region. 

Justso

Justso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, United States
For what it's worth, I'm not a Peet's shill by any means. However, it is the coffee chain I most often frequent. I care about coffee quality, both in terms of taste and nutrition. I am inspired by Dave's exploration into how coffee is produced and how a great supplement to the human body can also harbor awful toxins if not careful sourced and roasted. This is why I raised the issue with Peet's and hope to continue the discussion. If I drank Starbucks or Folger's or Yuban, I probably would have done the same with them. If it turns out that it's not worth the effort, then I'll look elsewhere.

Dave Asprey is making me look at coffee differently and I hope to continue to broaden the discussion among coffee connoisseurs, drinkers, and providers. It's one thing to say "Only drink Upgraded Coffee because it's the best and safest you can get" (No sarcasm intended. I'm sure it's amazing coffee). It's another to promote discussion to improve the quality of coffee as a whole, and make more people aware of what they are buying/consuming and how to choose good, quality, SAFE coffee. I can't speak for Dave Asprey, but I would think he'd agree or he wouldn't have written an article on how to find bulletproof beans in your region. 

Hi Stu,

No one on here, certainly not me, took you as a shill for Peet's. People have their coffee loyalties, especially when it comes to above average roasters (I'd include Peet's in this category for sure). I hope you do broaden the conversation, and as I've said in several threads on here, even Dave himself in the earlier podcasts has said "my coffee is not the only good coffee out there." So yes, good coffee can be found. The trick is finding one that is as scrutinized as his is and is held to the standard of quality in both bean and roasting process his is. I tell you this, I've converted many a coffee drinker from their go-to blends when they try Upgraded Beans. I would think the way to broaden this conversation and to be able to get a more wider variety of available beans that are mycotoxin free is to begin pressing the roasters to answer these questions.

I certainly hope if you're so inclined, that you will spearhead this effort with Peet's and see what you can uncover and inspire in them.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

StuGibson

StuGibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Here is the reply I got. Same day replies from customer service on such a niche topic... really impressed!

"Thanks for your response.

As for the level of mycotoxins in our coffees, we research high quality coffee and we do not have immediate information regarding this.

Out of the coffees below, you probably would enjoy Guatemala San Sebastian as it is a single origin coffee provided by a single farm.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else."

mmejoanna

mmejoanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Cool! Thanks for sharing that. I've always loved Peets, and if I need a coffee on the run now I know what to ask for : )

pmrtnz

pmrtnz

Peter Martinez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Was just there and had to Google "Peets Bulletproof" before ordering. They recently started offering 'Rare Press Pot', which is a French Pressed brew of any coffee they carry. I Googled the Guatemala San Sebastian and it's a wet process, high altitude, single estate bean.

I can't imagine I can get closer to Bulletproof while i'm out and about, so that will be my go-to if I don't have access to Dave's beans ($4.50 for a medium though!)

Cool! Thanks for sharing that. I've always loved Peets, and if I need a coffee on the run now I know what to ask for : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users