7 replies to this topic

kylehamman

kylehamman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Is having sweet potatoes before bed a good thing? I have been mostly bulletproof for a few weeks but I sleep much better if I have a potato before bed, as potatoes are not good for the joints I have been having a sweet potato every night and it does the same thing, I read a book for a friend who had OCD called Potatoes not Prozac and they explained that slower carbs helped your body release melatonin. I know it would cut the fasted state short as I would be having carbs later then dinner. All I have for breakfast every morning is bulletproof coffee.

KA24

KA24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio
I haven't done a lot of experimenting with this, but I have noticed that as long as I give myself a few hours to digest before laying down, I sleep very well after a high starch meal. Last night I ate two sweet potatoes, a large spaghetti squash and some shrimp about 4 hours before bed and slept like a baby.
Life is one giant experiment.

Stephen001

Stephen001

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
Eating a banana before bedtime or during the night may help reduce the frequency of nighttime awakenings. Other sources of potassium include baked potatoes, sunflower seeds, spinach, almonds and prunes.

Thanks
Memory Foam Mattress

Dave A

Dave A

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Take MCT and collagen before bed. Try that first, then use Upgraded Whey, which has bioactive milk peptides which will help you sleep.

gregdavisdotca

gregdavisdotca

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Take MCT and collagen before bed. Try that first, then use Upgraded Whey, which has bioactive milk peptides which will help you sleep.

Dave I've heard you recommend MCT oil before bed a few times now. What function is it serving specifically in to the night or an effect during early sleep? Is it something you've stuck with even after resolving acute sleep issues?

csrpj

csrpj

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

i'm also curious about the MCT oil before bed. i assumed MCT gives one energy and thus would be bad for going to sleep.

what about collagen - it helps with sleep?

DagothUr

DagothUr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationEstonia

i'm also curious about the MCT oil before bed. i assumed MCT gives one energy and thus would be bad for going to sleep.

what about collagen - it helps with sleep?

Good day,

Possible mechanism how collagen may improve sleep:
Here I will regurgitate some content of my other post.

If collagen is looked upon as a source of glycine:

In the central nervous system glycine acts on the glycine receptor and induces a postsynaptic inhibitory potential.
This may effect the likeliness of the neurons to create action potential e.g. fire.
Of this effect is coupled with sleep, and then sleep quality may be improved.
And there are some studies that prove it both from a subjective and objective standpoint (polysomnography).

Possible mechanism how MCT oil may improve sleep:

A correction, if I may:

MCT oil may provide energy in terms of wakefulness…but to be more objective, it provides fuel for the cells.
That fuel is needed for ATP synthesis.
ATP is needed for sleep.
MCT is a more efficient fuel for the brain compared to glucose (however, some glucose for the brain is still needed) and if I am not mistaking, ketone bodies are used by the brain proportionate to their supply via the blood.
E.g. to a certain point, the more ketones you have in your blood (+ the brains adaptation to utilizing ketones), the more the brain can use for its needs (in this particular situation - sleep).
To much ketones seem to cause the body to produce insulin to get rid of them and as a result, there is a possibility of a transient hypoglycemia and hypoketonemia, which may negatively impact sleep quality.

Based upon one study, sleep quality on a ketogenic diet may have a positive impact on sleep quality (especially deep sleep).
One aspect of a ketogenic diet is…that the body produces more ketone bodies to fuel its needs.
And it is suggested, that ketone bodies positively affect the numerous functions on the brain, including sleep.
MCT oils upon entering the blood stream spontaneously turn into ketones and have therefore may have the same effect on sleep as does a ketogenic diet.

typeoneu

typeoneu

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

What I usually do is take a little goat milk or a full Tbsp of almond paste mixed with a little bit of meat, ~ half an hour before bed. "Non-sweet" carbs might work better than "sweet" ones (like rice or taro), but this approach might increase cravings for carbs. Dave recommends whey, try it.

Typeoneu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users