12 replies to this topic

Infinusss

Infinusss

Relax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA, USA.

I know that Dave recommends Sockeye salmon as the go-to salmon, so I wanted to look into what made him select it for his BP diet list. From what I've read, the 5-species of wild Alaskan salmon are the healthiest to eat. King salmon being the fattiest, being higher in Omega-3's than Sockeye. The only reason I could see to eat Sockeye over King, is that King is fattier, and the fat is where most of the toxins are stored. However, most resources state that we really shouldn't have to worry too much about the toxins in wild Alaskan fish. Anyone else read much on this? Because, a few other sources state that even though wild Alaskan fish are lower in toxins, that they shouldn't be eaten more than 4 or 5 times a month. Thoughts?

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

Scotty Dee

Scotty Dee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Good point. Sounds like the King is a better option. With that being said if you are at a point in your BP life that you are looking a which kind of wild Alaskan Salmon is the best...you are doing quite well.

At my local grocery I dont have that many options, If I can get wild caught I get it regardless of the type of fish. Thought process being that wild is better than farm regardless of the fish.

Cant go wrong eithet in my book.

katolotus

katolotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Quick question salmon related (albeit canned). What's the difference, if any between Pink and Red salmon?

Can't always get the good stuff, so using canned salmon, sardines and mackerel. Choice is Red or Pink salmon. Not sure in the difference,  BP related.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

Get Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee in the UK & Europe

alphasupps-small.jpg

Use the discount code IAN for 5% OFF on your orders

See my last fight here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVDsxbQZ6U). Didn't go so well, but that's the game :wink: enjoy

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Jason Miller

Jason Miller

Mother nature isn't stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts
  • LocationCanada

Quick question salmon related (albeit canned). What's the difference, if any between Pink and Red salmon?

Can't always get the good stuff, so using canned salmon, sardines and mackerel. Choice is Red or Pink salmon. Not sure in the difference, BP related.

http://www.pacifican...tion-chart.html

Red means sockeye, pink is actually a type, it is the smallest. Wild is key regardless.

My Crossfit programming http://www.facebook....jasonmillerwods
Demo vids for said programming http://www.youtube.c...MegaJasonmiller<p>
Trying to figure out how much to eat? like using a scale? like running tests? http://forum.bulletp...changing-goals/

My fitness pal: http://www.myfitness...y/jasonmiller10

Infinusss

Infinusss

Relax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA, USA.

Can't always get the good stuff, so using canned salmon, sardines and mackerel. Choice is Red or Pink salmon. Not sure in the difference,  BP related.

=======================

Here's a good graphic showing the difference between salmon-types. If you click on each fish, it will give you a breakdown of fat and protein content, as well. As far as the difference with using canned-salmon, I would check to see what the fish is packed with, as far as preservatives and additives goes. If you have a can handy, post the ingredients.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

Andy Boskamp

Andy Boskamp

Andy Boskamp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationWesthampton, NY

Isn't it likely that the omega fats in canned fish are oxidized. I don't have any studies to support this... just my intuition.

I eat frozen wild sockeye salmon by orca bay seafoods. Considering that I eat 1lb/wk, I do hope it is the best seafood out there. If anyone has an argument for swapping in some canned sardines or shellfish (shrimp maybe?) I'd be interested.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

joeld123

joeld123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationToronto

As for the difference between Pinks and about all other salmons: For those living in Alaska pink salmon or pinks are also known as dog salmon.  As they are considered fit only for dogs.  They are also known as humpies as they have a rather distinctive hump.  This hump makes them fairly ugly compared to the other salmon.  They are also known as chum salmon.

Stevo

Stevo

Upgrade in Progress

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland
Are they good for you? Could be a cheap option if people don't like them!

Want to read random blog posts written by me? Click: http://www.thatstevenbaker.com/

joeld123

joeld123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationToronto

It seems to me that pinks are the worst salmon.  According to this chart they are the lowest for omega 3s and fat: http://seafoodhealth...ices/salmon.php

But, even the worst are still pretty damn good.  Those throwing pinks to the dogs are snagging fish after fish when the salmon run and can afford to be picky.  Yes, I say snag not catch as when the salmon are running they eat nothing and they are basically just biting at lures that piss them off.  It's hardly sporting and I went to a salmon run "fishing" only once(in Skagway Alaska).  The fish are in a sorry state by the time they get there.

katolotus

katolotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

think I prefer to think I'm eating pink rather than humpback ;-)

I'll choose Red over Pink when I can. Don't eat it too often, just a change up from sardines and mackerel.

Sorry to steal the thread a bit.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

Get Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee in the UK & Europe

alphasupps-small.jpg

Use the discount code IAN for 5% OFF on your orders

See my last fight here (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVDsxbQZ6U). Didn't go so well, but that's the game :wink: enjoy

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

GiGiEats

GiGiEats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

KING is hands down my favorite. I actually HATE Sockeye, its just too lean and boring for me. King salmon is so easy to prepare cause it doesn't need a sauce. Of course, it's the most harsh on your wallet, but my taste buds are DIVAS! 

jacobt

jacobt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

As for the difference between Pinks and about all other salmons: For those living in Alaska pink salmon or pinks are also known as dog salmon.  As they are considered fit only for dogs.  They are also known as humpies as they have a rather distinctive hump.  This hump makes them fairly ugly compared to the other salmon.  They are also known as chum salmon.

Actually pink salmon (humpies)  are quite different from dog salmon (chum). Chum are typically bigger and they do not have the hump. They are both very ugly and are also both very cheap types of salmon. This knowledge comes from my work as a deckhand on a fishing tender in Alaska.

Valentinoff

Valentinoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBristol

I imagine Dave chose Sockeye because he can get it fresh on his doorstep (british Columbia) and it also has a shorter lifecycle (i.e less mercury) than the other salmon.

I'm in the UK and am always seeing the option of buying wild Scottish salmon. Albeit being pink, what kind of research could I do to distinguish how BP it would be?

At the moment my options are 1) 'fresh' wild sockeye salmon (expensive) 2) BPA-free canned wild red salmon or 3) fresh wild Scottish salmon (pink)

I'm also curious if anyone knows how bad the canned stuff is in comparison to fresh pink/red? Canned comes as a steak with the backbone and everything and the bones just melt in your mouth - I have no idea how it has been prepared but it can't be good if I can eat the bones without even noticing them?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users