• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

(Moderator, please move if there is a better folder to stick this in)

It appears that lower back pain and sore glute+hips that I've been dealing with for 10-15 years are caused by my left leg being 9mm shorter than my right. That would explain why my pain has always been on my left side (almost exclusively).

Anyone have an opinion on the diagnosis or suggested best course of treatment?

Right now it's been suggested to just use a 9mm lift heel insert in my shoes - which is disappointing because I was planning on buying some minimalist shoes. Orthotics don't seem like a good solution, but I don't know much about it. Doesn't seem like there's a way to electro-stimulate my leg longer ;)

drumminangoleiro

drumminangoleiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

i'd recommend doing some yoga, probably with a teacher who's studied in the iyengar system to some extent.

brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Thanks drumminangoleiro

reading a bit more it looks like I need to determine if it's a functional discrepancy or structural

bluetree

bluetree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Locationsanta fe, nm

are your hips even?  i would imagine there would be some curvature of the spine.  also, if you wind up using a lift in your shoe, your body will need to adjust to it, given that you've been compensating for many years.  it will be a process.  you might want to try a rolfer

drumminangoleiro

drumminangoleiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

i don't think anybody is completely even. nobody moves and holds their body in completely symmetrical ways all the time. we all tend to put more weight on one foot than the other, or cross one leg on the other when we sit, or use one leg on the gas pedal when we drive, or one hand for the mouse, or one hand for writing, or talking/texting on the phone, or tilting our head to one side or the other, etc. etc. every time you do this you create more tension on one part of your body than the other. and tension in one spot tends to pull another spot out of position, so pinpointing the "cause" of one particular pain can be a bit tricky sometimes. mostly this stuff is pretty subtle and we don't notice it until some sudden pain and we are like "where the hell did that come from?". i think good yoga can help this by focusing on alignment and feeling as much as we can, then stretching and holding postures based on what we feel. my teachers often suggest only stretching as far on your looser side as you can on your  more tense side because if you keep lengthening your loose side it will perpetuate imbalances in your body. 

i don't know if a lift would be the best way to deal with it. i guess if you have some skeletal imbalance, maybe, but if its just because of tension in your tendons/connective tissue/muscle/fascia it would likely cause more of an imbalance. i know i'd feel really weird with an insert in my shoes (especially after wearing vibrams for the past 4 years). 

Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCA
First you need to determine if your leg is anatomically short, or if your hips are somehow rotating. Lie on your back, find your ASIS, see if they are level. Notice the sides, if one side is flaring out more than the other. You can also look at the angle of the ASIS to the PSIS. Normal angle for men is between 0 & 5 degrees, women, 5 & 10 degrees. It's tricky doing readings on yourself, maybe get someone to help.http://www.thebodyth...cular Touch.pdf

For most of us, it's the hip. One of the easiest "fixes" is to lie on your back, place your feet on the floor (knees bent) and draw the longer leg into your chest. Interlace your hands either below your knee or across the back of your thigh. Pull the bent knee in to your chest, then resist with your leg, push into your hands. Count for 8 breaths. Do both sides and then finish by doing the longer leg again.

brandon

brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Thanks for all the feedback. It's helpful.

Here is an article I read:

http://runningreform...shorter-excuse/

I'm going to a chiropractor right now (24 free visits via insurance), along with therapeutic massage. He x-rayed the hips to find the 9mm difference, but that doesn't determine if its structural or functional. Mostly working on neck traction, but just got a lift last week. More reading and thinking to do, but what you have all said makes sense. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users