11 replies to this topic

Dr. M

Dr. M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Dave suggests to add a crapton of salt to your water in the morning. I add much less than he recommends and drink it along with my BPC. I'm just curious as to whether or not I should be adding salt to all my water.

I've been adding a pinch or two of pink salt to most glasses of water I drink because it seems to help me retain water better. On one of the JRE podcasts Aubrey talks about adding it to your water since we filter our water so much. In the process of filtering water, we take out all the bad stuff that can get you sick; however, we also take out all the minerals and electrolytes we would normally be getting from unfiltered water. By adding pink salt back into the water we're adding back in electrolytes as well as over 80 trace minerals we normally don't get from filtered water.

I'm happy to hear your guyses thoughts on the subject.

"What are electrolytes?"

"...They're what the plants crave." - Idiocracy

STACKINEUROS

STACKINEUROS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

i've been adding a teaspoon of himalayan salt to about a glass of water when I wake up.. I dont know the exact medical reason other than Dave seems to voraciously recommend it. One thing I do notice is that I can actually feel the salt come out of my skin later in the day. One concern I had about Himalayan salt was that it was a massive scam and it contained Flouride amongst other things. I'm still not sure I just follow Dave's recommendation. I do have some celtic sea salt as well, which supposedly has a higher degree of magnesium, too.

wtfgod

wtfgod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

IIRC its my understanding that you add salt to your water(as soon as possible after waking) to help raise your blood pressure? so your adrenals can produce less cortisol. your cortisol is naturally highest in the morning(7am) so you can go from a horizontal position to a vertical one without all your blood falling to your feet.(think about when u get up too fast and get light headed)

sea salt would strongly depend on which sea it comes from, dried up sea beds will naturally have whatever sediment was in the sea water at that location. if it came from a sea full of toxins/pollutants it will be bad for you, if it came from a clean source it will hopefully help supplement you with various minerals that were in the water before it dried( at what amount i dont know ). another benefit to sea salt is the texture, lack of "flowing agents" (sand mixed in with your salt so it doesnt clump. fluoride is generally fine for you, the problem comes when you get too much of it; generally if your getting supplemented via your water supply and especially for children. i wouldnt avoid seasalt because of any fluoride content just like i wouldnt avoid tea because of the fluoride content.

i wouldnt say seasalt is a scam, i think its just cost/benefit analysis. salt is pretty cheap either way and it may be worth it if you like the texture/idea of micronutrients/lack of flowing agents for your salt.

Jason Miller

Jason Miller

Mother nature isn't stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationCanada

key point: drink before leaving bed.  How long to wait before getting up? unknown, 10 minutes sounds about good.

My Crossfit programming http://www.facebook....jasonmillerwods
Demo vids for said programming http://www.youtube.c...MegaJasonmiller<p>
Trying to figure out how much to eat? like using a scale? like running tests? http://forum.bulletp...changing-goals/

Tracker2208

Tracker2208

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

You probably don't have to worry about fluoride, and a very small amount might be good for you.  This may not be the popular opinion in this forum, but I'll explain my reasoning.  Many many natural water sources contain fluoride.  Our body probably evolved a way to process it, and I would guess that some fluoride would actually be beneficial (in addition to preventing cavities).  Yes I'm aware that there's a study that showed areas in China where they water had 3x the EPA limit of fluoride had children with lower IQ.  There are also many other studies showing links (correlation, not causation) to fluoride and many bad things.  So yes I believe there is an upper limit.  But I also think there could be an optimal intake amount.  I just don't think it would be worth the risk of approaching the upper limit trying to shoot for the optimal amount.

The biggest problem with fluoride is that a normal person will drink it, bath in it, then use fluoridated toothpaste and mouth wash.  If you don't do any of those things I don't think you need to worry about trace sources such as in salt, or in washing your clothes in fluoridated water.

The reason I though about it so much is I was thinking about getting some grass fed bones to make broth, but I was worried about the fluoride.  After all almost every municipal source of water is fluoridated.  It turns out that the municipality where the cows are raised (St. George, UT) doesn't, but they still measure.  Their fluoride levels were 2.6 whatevers per thingies compared to 7.3 whatevers per thingies of fluoridated water.  So I realized even if the cows went to a completely pollution free natural water source they would still intake fluoride.  So I concluded you can't eliminate all sources of fluoride, and although I'll never be able to prove it you probably wouldn't want to.  So just don't drink tap water or use regular toothpaste and mouth wash and don't worry about the fluoride content of anything else.

HeroicDose

HeroicDose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBarrie Ontario

You probably don't have to worry about fluoride, and a very small amount might be good for you.  This may not be the popular opinion in this forum, but I'll explain my reasoning.  Many many natural water sources contain fluoride.  Our body probably evolved a way to process it, and I would guess that some fluoride would actually be beneficial (in addition to preventing cavities).  Yes I'm aware that there's a study that showed areas in China where they water had 3x the EPA limit of fluoride had children with lower IQ.  There are also many other studies showing links (correlation, not causation) to fluoride and many bad things.  So yes I believe there is an upper limit.  But I also think there could be an optimal intake amount.  I just don't think it would be worth the risk of approaching the upper limit trying to shoot for the optimal amount.

The biggest problem with fluoride is that a normal person will drink it, bath in it, then use fluoridated toothpaste and mouth wash.  If you don't do any of those things I don't think you need to worry about trace sources such as in salt, or in washing your clothes in fluoridated water.

The reason I though about it so much is I was thinking about getting some grass fed bones to make broth, but I was worried about the fluoride.  After all almost every municipal source of water is fluoridated.  It turns out that the municipality where the cows are raised (St. George, UT) doesn't, but they still measure.  Their fluoride levels were 2.6 whatevers per thingies compared to 7.3 whatevers per thingies of fluoridated water.  So I realized even if the cows went to a completely pollution free natural water source they would still intake fluoride.  So I concluded you can't eliminate all sources of fluoride, and although I'll never be able to prove it you probably wouldn't want to.  So just don't drink tap water or use regular toothpaste and mouth wash and don't worry about the fluoride content of anything else.

fluoride in the sea salt is naturally occuring and our biology has adapted to it. The fluoride in your drinking water and toothpaste is a by product of industrial waste.

http://topdocumentar...ride-deception/

bdokko29

bdokko29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il

that was one hting that always got me. i know dave is not god but i do listen closely to what he says.  I noted a contradiction in the theory.  in the first podcast with joe rogan he talks about how the whole 'salt is bad because it raises your blood pressure' thing is BS.  he goes on to say that salt only raises your blood pressure within the error margin of a blood pressure cuff. 

then he uses the logic that since salt raises your blood pressure to drink it to descrease a realase in cortisol. 

still i experiimented my self and I must say....it did seem to make me feel stress free for the first part of the day.  I discontinued this practice only beacue i dont want to do it every day and still wanted to do more investigating on my own.  plus i took on soooo many changes to my lifestyle and diet i just decided to slow down.. slow progress is stil progress. 

any ways i am about to start ex[erimenting with this again and may add it to my dily/every other day routine.  more infor on this from advanced members would be great

Jason Miller

Jason Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationCanada

In the first example he is speaking globally (daily average), in the second he is speaking momentarily (horizontal for long periods switching to vertical), 

Trying to figure out how much to eat? like using a scale? like running tests? http://forum.bulletp...changing-goals/

Dr. M

Dr. M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

The reason Dave said to add it into your water in the morning is because when you wake up your body is trying to change your potassium to sodium ratios. Your body has to lower your potassium and up your sodium and you should drink salt water in the morning to help out with that process. I'm just curious as to whether adding salt to all our water would be a good idea or not.

STACKINEUROS

STACKINEUROS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

i have a teaspoon of salt when I wake up now right after i take my probiotic...it sounds legit i'll probably keep at it.

Skullbabyland

Skullbabyland

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi guys... I am looking to do salt in the morning, but in capsule form cuz the salt water taste repels me.  Does anyone know of any good reputable brands/links for high quality HImalayan pink sea salt capsules?

The only one I could find through various google searches is this, and not sure if it's a good one or not...

http://www.vitaminli...roduct_id/61999

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Jason Miller

Jason Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationCanada

Cap your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users