126 replies to this topic

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Hi guys,

I always have been a guy who kept logs about my progress in my road to getting healthy and a better physique, but lately I feel I don't fit anymore on sites like bodybuilding.com, since I feel more like I belong amongst bulletproof people, since so far this approach is doing miracles for my health. 

A bit about myself. 22 years old, went when I was 18 living on myself to study, did drink a lot of beer, did eat bodybuilding food like oatmeal, lot of brown rice, chicken (thought it was good), didn't like my study, had a lot of fun. 2.5 years ago I got mono/kissing disease after a holiday. Didn't recover from it, and now the doctors say I have CFS and I am in treatment for this with cognitive therapy. Also I moved back to my parents again since March, since I just couldn't take care for myself anymore, even buying food took too much energy. I always have been a guy who didn't like to listen to other people without getting convinced (which is hard to convince me) so I kept looking for other things that could cause the issue. I always think I am smarter than them. I know it is not always a good thing (even though it sometimes is for sure), but I can't help it. 

So moving forward a bit, a guy I know from online gaming (I know, I am a nerd, I earn some money with it though) recommended me to look at bulletproof. I already started vitamin b12 and magnesium before that, after founding articles about it online, which helped a bit for sure, started thinking a bit more clear and pain in legs (calves mainly) became much less. I got hooked instantly. Finally guys/girls like me, who like to do their own research and don't like to listen to general recommendations. Listened to a lot of podcasts about health, and got easily convinced (yes, I know, this time it was easy because the arguments were good) that I had to give this a serious try. 

I started eating as bulletproof as I can, ordered vitamin d and vitamin c as well, switched to magnesium malate instead of the the mix I had before (no oxide in it, dont worry), and things are going great. I am still not where I should be, that is also why I made this thread (appreciate advice there a lot):

http://forum.bulletp...now/#entry57390

I started last summer with friends a challenge to get a good physique, dropped from 23% bodyfat to like 19% with classic bodybuilding food (oatmeal, chicken), and after that switched to bulletproof, and currently I am sitting at 15.9%. Obviously liking bulletproof more, since I have more energy now, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Goal is 10% next summer (6 months left) and add some muscles.

So yeah, I figured this is the time to start a thread here about my progress. I weight train 3 times a week, currently eat only rice/sweet potato 2 evenings a week, and after training a lill bit. My health is most important for sure, but my body transformation is something I want to do as well and comes second. Luckily enough they overlap quite a bit :) I am optimistic that this will finally lead to living the life I wanna live again, and would like to share that story and get feedback/support, I appreciate that a lot. 

For the guys who want to see progress pictures:

262a03908e26942a1e1fdefa5218e8fb.png

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Measured fat today again, 15.5%. Obviously was pretty happy with results. Also still feeling good, so that is nice. Will get my iodine today, so will start with that as welll. Going to decrease vitamin b12 to a lower dose, think this 2 months of high dose is enough.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Did eat yesterday like 500g ground beef (not grass fed) for lunch, after that only some nuts for rest of the day. Felt a bit tired after that ground beef, and feel today a bit worse. I don't know if it is because of the ground beef, but will try a bit better to avoid stuff like that from now on. Does normal ground beef has a lot of toxins in it, or is it only bad because of the kind of fats? I mean, is it possible this makes me feel bad as well, or do you only have to eat grass fed for like heart health and cholesterol?

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Allright, I did read today that even white rice has toxins in it when looking up what organ meat was good, which is great, since I did buy 10kg rice in bulk.  :mrgreen: Also I did conclude my ground beef was very dumb, so I am about to make an order for good meat. I will order ground beef, liver, kidney, heart, all from organic grass fed animals. It is not even that expensive, and they didn't get antibiotics. Also I am thinking about buying beef fat from those grass fed beef, which is fresh. I don't know how to store that though, suppose u can freeze it too? It will be like 22lbs ground beef, 2lbs organ meat, 1kg of fat for 150 euros, which is like $200. It is a lot of money for me, but if that will help my health I think I gotta do it. Also I did read that cashews, even organic unroasted, might have more toxins than I thought, so might wanna quit those too. 

Looking good to you guys? 

C ya

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Allright, I did order my meat. 10 times 100g of organ meat (different kinds), 50 times 100g of ground beef. No idea how to prepare that heart/liver/kidney, but will figure it out lol. Also will reduce the amount of nuts I am eating, and go more bulletproof. More coconut oil and grass fed butter. Not sure yet what to do with vegetables. Like I would like to go 100% strict, but damn this is expensive. Hopefully I feel a bit better tomorrow, the plan is to train again too. 

Jeffh911

Jeffh911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Did eat yesterday like 500g ground beef (not grass fed) for lunch, after that only some nuts for rest of the day. Felt a bit tired after that ground beef, and feel today a bit worse. I don't know if it is because of the ground beef, but will try a bit better to avoid stuff like that from now on. Does normal ground beef has a lot of toxins in it, or is it only bad because of the kind of fats? I mean, is it possible this makes me feel bad as well, or do you only have to eat grass fed for like heart health and cholesterol?

----

Greetings man, I think your in the right place to optimize your health.  I would stay away from all roasted nuts.  If you really enjoy nuts buy them raw and slow roast them yourself on a very low temp.  Make your own nut butters using this method to roast the nuts first.  Always try to get the best quality nuts raw.  Yes I would stear clear of tradional beef, they feed our cattle garbage, let them pick their own grasses!  You want ground beef from a 100% pasture raised cow and you want all that fat.  The crappy beef definetley could of been making you feel crappy, the nuts too.

Allright, I did read today that even white rice has toxins in it when looking up what organ meat was good, which is great, since I did buy 10kg rice in bulk.  :mrgreen: Also I did conclude my ground beef was very dumb, so I am about to make an order for good meat. I will order ground beef, liver, kidney, heart, all from organic grass fed animals. It is not even that expensive, and they didn't get antibiotics. Also I am thinking about buying beef fat from those grass fed beef, which is fresh. I don't know how to store that though, suppose u can freeze it too? It will be like 22lbs ground beef, 2lbs organ meat, 1kg of fat for 150 euros, which is like $200. It is a lot of money for me, but if that will help my health I think I gotta do it. Also I did read that cashews, even organic unroasted, might have more toxins than I thought, so might wanna quit those too. 

Looking good to you guys? 

C ya

---
Sounds awesome im jealous! I do avoid all nuts for the most part.  I do love a dark chocolate almond butter cup every once in a while though!

Allright, I did order my meat. 10 times 100g of organ meat (different kinds), 50 times 100g of ground beef. No idea how to prepare that heart/liver/kidney, but will figure it out lol. Also will reduce the amount of nuts I am eating, and go more bulletproof. More coconut oil and grass fed butter. Not sure yet what to do with vegetables. Like I would like to go 100% strict, but damn this is expensive. Hopefully I feel a bit better tomorrow, the plan is to train again too. 

----
For veggie I just bought one of those little basket steamers that goes in a pot with some water and I use organic frozen vegetables.  Broccoli, Cauliflauer, Spinich is what I like to go with the most, sometimes a carrot too.  I interchange them a lot to, some night just all spinich, or just broc/caulf. etc..I smother them in kerrygold butter as well, yum.  I also take a capsule of MCT with my meals as well.  Keep it up man its worth!  I know how tough it can be, escpecially being tight on money but theres nothing more worth investing in than yourself.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Thanks a lot man. 

I doubt it is the nuts that gives me this bad feeling (had organic raw cashew nuts). I felt MUCH better today again, even while eating a lot of nuts again. I had some sort of special moment. Always when I was so tired, I could never travel and so on. Since I lost a lot of fat last few months, I decided to buy new jeans. I had to go 15 minutes by train, did try like 8 jeans in different stores, went to another store to check for a computer screen, walking walking, had a drink somewhere, had to wait for train 15 minutes, busy in train, bike 5 minutes hill upwards in the rain, sand so on. I wasn't even that tired when I was home! A very, very special moment for me, since last 2.5 years I would always have been broken after this. Going with my dad 2morrow at 8:00 to get the beef. It is nice that I convinced my mom now also that this is the way to go. Even showed why it is much better than normal organic, and she was liking it a lot. She even offered to pay for it, as long they can use it too, and order some nice beef too! (I did only order ground beef since it is cheaper). So yeah, really happy with the support. They also see I feel much better lately, so yeah. I still almost can't believe it, but it can't be coincidence anymore u would think. Also my vitamin b12 is almost empty, decided not to order new ones. They told me at the seminar that after high dose for 2 months u can quit, and if symptoms come back, u can continue with lower dose, so that is what I will do. Also pain in legs becomes still less and less, almost don't feel anything anymore. Magnesium is def HUGE for me, no doubt about that anymore. So 2 conclusions so far: I was magnesium deficcient, and toxified my body. I am pretty happy that I know this, since it gives me the feeling I have some control over my health again. 

*O yeah, I even did weight lift this morning too before I went with the train to buy jeans!!

tonystocco

tonystocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Insilicio - Great posts! The underlying message here is that you're taking an experimental approach to your health. Trying new things and discovering what works and doesn't work for you - this information is invaluable. Congrats!

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Thanks, appreciate it a lot. I did do a lot of stuff the past few days, and this was maybe a lill bit too much. Should not have done that probably. It was just going so well that I was like ''whatever''. I did not totally crash though, but for example had a pretty bad training this morning. It has nothing to do with the b12, since I had my last pills this morning. I did have a bit too much carbs (white rice esp) last week though, so it might have to do with that. Also fat% measurement this morning: 15.9%. Was really not happy with this, since it was 15.5% last week. Strangely enough though, I lost 1mm on my back, gained 1mm biceps, 1mm triceps, belly stayed the same. Arms tend to fluctuate a bit, but we will see next week. For now next time carbs is monday. I don't know, do you guys think 3 times a week alot of white rice might have caused the problems? 

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

I did wake up pretty tired and shitty today, and I have no idea where it is coming from to be honest. Like the training yesterday was bad, and now I feel bad as well. I did eat bulletproof, grass fed meat, coconut oil, grass fed butter, vegetables, whey protein and so on. I did have white rice after my training. Like mentioned before this time I won't have carbs the next 7 days, might even extend it a little bit to 9 days as Kiefer suggests, and from that point on once a week carbs. I don't like this, since I felt I finally nailed the problem, and now I still feel bad while I did everything as well as I could. Maybe it is because of the carbs after training and 2 times in the evening in 1 week, I really have no clue. But yeah, we will see next week how it goes without carbs I guess. Bye

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Since I obviously hate this how I feel today, I started thinking, and thinking, and thinking. 

Two things that come to mind:

1. I did do a lot of stuff since I felt good. Trained 3 times as usual, but now also played some badminton one extra time, I went to another city by train for a date, went to different stores (get my new jeans), went back, busy train. Normally this would have exhausted me, this time it didnt. The shopping was thursday, extra badminton sunday. I always train tuesday, thursday, saturday. Also I went on another date on saturday, walked a lot, went with my bike there. Also friday evening I went to teach someone some courses for her school, again on my bike, heavy wind outside. So yeah, I might have overdone it a lot. And yeah I know, it was probably dumb, but I felt so good that I was getting enthousiastic. 

2. Food. Since I did so much, I figured it was also fine I would eat more carbs, I had like 100g of rice (weighted uncooked) after every weight training, had a lot of carbs friday evening, and carbs sunday iirc, not so much though. It was all white rice if I remember correct, so I might have overdone this. Maybe ketosis is ''the secret'' for me right now, since I did feel good when I took it VERY easy on the carbs.

3. I have to follow a sleep schedule for my treatment. Go to bed every day at same time, wake up every day at the same time. Lately I am allowed to deviate from this a little bit once every week, but I had like 2 extra days where I went to bed 45 minutes later, woke up 1 hour later. So yeah, this was also not very good.

So like mentioned before, no carbs from now on for me, see how that goes. Also strict with sleeping again, and taking it easy with activities. I am not sure yet when to eat sweet potato again, but we will see. If you guys have any advice, let me know.

Edit: I was just preparing food and was searching some on the Ipad about ketosis and CFS, and I did google my own post on bulletproof lol. I did post that I felt really good when being in ketosis (knew that because of the ketostix, I know you guys don't like that for guidance). So yeah, this supports my plan to cut out carbs again. It was just dumb to implement them again after feeling good for a week.

tonystocco

tonystocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

I had a similar experience with increasing carbs (white rice) before/after workouts while lifting weights 4 days a week - I didn't feel good. I thought it would help recover, provide more energy, etc... I was feeling the opposite. Now I only eat carbs 2 days a week (Wed & Sat) even if I didn't lift those days... and I'm getting stronger and putting on weight.

I'm trying to test the opposite of the "carbs pre/post workout" strategy. So I switched my post workout meal from meat, rice & veggies to eggs and bacon! So far, it's great and I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having carbs.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Do you train in the morning too? I do that too, so that is why I also eat carbs the evening before a training, because that is what Kiefer suggests in the podcast with Dave about carb backloading. 

Do you also have health issues, or are you talking about ''just feeling a bit worse''? If so, what is it? 

Thanks for your comment man, it gives me hope.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

I did post this in another thread already, but I think for myself it is good for reference to have this here.

I start doubting this refeeding thing has to be done.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GC1vMBRFiwE

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

Both don't really speak about refeeding unless I missed it. 

http://paleohacks.co...l#axzz2nFmO4t00

It gives me extra motivation to really go for the keto adaptation this time. Also I start believing that even weekly refeeds in the beginning is pretty dumb, since it slows the keto adaptation. Like what I believe right now is that I should go like 6 weeks without carbs except from vegetables obviously, and after that, I might start eating carbs once a week, but even then I am not sure. 

tonystocco

tonystocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Do you train in the morning too? I do that too, so that is why I also eat carbs the evening before a training, because that is what Kiefer suggests in the podcast with Dave about carb backloading. 

Do you also have health issues, or are you talking about ''just feeling a bit worse''? If so, what is it? 

Thanks for your comment man, it gives me hope.

I only train in the morning on the weekend, but I always, always eat before. Fasted exercise does not work for me -- all I think about is how hungry I am. Then I lose all focus and just try to get home quick so I can eat. Instead, I eat before so I can put every ounce of effort into my workout. Then I eat right after too. 

I have a severe mold/yeast allergy. And gluten sensitivity. But eating the rice before/after EVERY workout made me tired. More tired than when I don't eat rice or sweet potatoes that often - which is why I'm eating them two days a week now.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Thanks man.

Interesting (very interesting for me) the rice so often made you tired, glad you now feel better. I just figured it was pretty unlikely for me since my CFS started with kissing disease. For now I really think it is the ketosis that made me feel better, and not the specific form of carbs that made me feel worse. We will see :)

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed. Listened to the podcast about autism, and basically that is a lot of stuff I could do as well. I won't do this right now though, but will keep it in my mind for later. It was very interesting, since I am pretty sure I have some form of autism (HDD), and also they discussed parents with chronic fatigue who recovered because of this as well. The woman in the show does argue that cassein is bad though, which is in my whey shake. I might switch to an isolate form next time I order protein because of that. 

Edit: and apparently there is sucralose and fructose in my protein as well... Not sure if I should finish the bucket, there are quite some shakes left...

tonystocco

tonystocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed. Listened to the podcast about autism, and basically that is a lot of stuff I could do as well. I won't do this right now though, but will keep it in my mind for later. It was very interesting, since I am pretty sure I have some form of autism (HDD), and also they discussed parents with chronic fatigue who recovered because of this as well. The woman in the show does argue that cassein is bad though, which is in my whey shake. I might switch to an isolate form next time I order protein because of that. 

Edit: and apparently there is sucralose and fructose in my protein as well... Not sure if I should finish the bucket, there are quite some shakes left...

------------------------------------

Have you tried Dave's Upgraded whey protein powder? I used it and it's the only protein powder that didn't give me digestion issues.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
No I didn't. I live in the netherlands too, so it will get really expensive with the shipment costs I can imagine. Was thinking about looking for a protein from carnivors, will let you know. I am mainly worried about the sweeteners in my current shake atm. To be honest some while ago where I felt good, never had issues with my shake. Would u finish the bucket in my shoes? It is like a bit over 2kg left probably. It is a mix of cassein, whey concentrate, isolate and hydrolisate with 9g carbs per 100g.

Insilicio

Insilicio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
Also just lately by the way, I don't feel bad after the shake itself. I just wake up crap and feel crap the rest of the day. Had a few occasions where I felt bad after certain food for sure though like mentioned before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users